Saturday, August 17, 2013

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls - Hearty Low-Carb Deliciousness!

The day after I found this recipe, my neighbor offered up a head of cabbage from his garden. Kismet!

This dish is hands down one of the easiest and most delicious meals I've prepared lately. I have been cooking lower carb meals for several months now, and although this has more "sugar" in some of the ingredients that I used this time, I think there are ways to modify it. The diced tomatoes, specifically, can be found with lower sugar. I used Red Gold diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, with 5 grams of sugar.

Here are the ingredients, and my modifications:


  • 1 1/2 - 2 pounds lean ground beef (this time I used 1 lb. ground turkey and 1 lb. mildly spicy pork sausage)
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (I used two large cloves, I love garlic)
  • 1 small cabbage, roughly chopped
  • 2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
  • 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper 
  • 1 tsp sea salt
Here are the preparation instructions:

In a large skillet (I used a dutch oven, this wouldn't have worked in my skillet), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground meat and onion and cook, stirring, until the meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. (I didn't drain the juices from the meat, but I imagine some people would. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup water. I would probably use beef broth if I felt it needed more moisture, but leaving the juice from the meat in was perfect.)

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. 

This is now in my regular rotation! It reminds me of goulash - but without the heavy carb load. I think you could also easily make this vegetarian by adding some more vegetables for bulk such as zucchini, squash, bell peppers, celery, etc.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Living Sober

1 year, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes … all of it, living SOBER. No beer, no wine, no liquor. I could tell yo...