Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Yoga to the Core Day 22

#yogatothecore Day 22 is Chaturanga Dandasana. The hosts offered a few different suggestions for how to work on this challenge pose. Kino blew me away with her Chaturanga or crocodile "jumps" - I did try them and they are super difficult! I went with downdog split, to one-leg chaturanga push ups. A few sets of these and my triceps are shaking! I am a bit sore today, which means I need to do more of these :-) I love chaturanga and feel like I've come a long way with my upper body strength since I've started practicing more regularly. The first several months, I was modifying this pose and vinyasa with the knees down. Good alignment is important in chaturanga. Make sure you shift your shoulders slightly over your wrists and keep your elbows tucked into the ribs - your arms should graze the rib cage as you lower. This isn't a regular push up! Keep the shoulders down and back don't "sink" in between the shoulder blades. Keep the chest expanded and derive the power in this pose from the core. If you are using the knees, be sure your knees are quite a ways behind your hips.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Living Sober

1 year, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes … all of it, living SOBER. No beer, no wine, no liquor. I could tell yo...